Building a website can seem like a daunting task, especially if you are not familiar with the technical aspects of it. It is kind of like baking a cake – if you follow the recipe and use the right ingredients, it will be an easy task. But, if you are missing an ingredient, it will be a very frustrating experience.
As a result, WordPress has evolved into a powerful Content Management System (CMS), allowing anyone to effortlessly build a website. The upside to developing a WordPress website is that we can eliminate the traditional frustrating element entirely. It is like having a toolbox with all the necessary tools to build your website. However, just like with any toolbox, you must know how to use it.
In this blog, I will help you get familiar with the steps needed to build a website with WordPress. We will have a look at the different components of WordPress and understand how they all fit together. So, whether you are a complete beginner or have some experience, this article will help you to get started in the right instance. Let us dive into it then!
Is it Really Hard to Build a Website on WordPress?
The answer is, no, It’s not hard to build a website on WordPress!
Over the years, WordPress has gained popularity as a seamless platform for website development, with people worldwide creating their websites using WordPress. One of the major advantages of WordPress is that it doesn’t require any coding or technical skills to get started. Furthermore, there are a ton of free resources available over the internet to help beginners navigate the process.
Why People Think it is Hard to Build a WordPress Website
As I have said at the beginning, building a website on WordPress is like a piece of cake. Then why do so many people have this common misconception? In this segment, I have justified the misconception by listing down some common reasons:
1. Technical Complexity: People assume that building a website, even with a content management platform, requires a lot of technical knowledge. They think they will need a programming language or an understanding of website development to make it work.
2. Jargon and Terminology: Web development has its own set of jargon and terminology. Terms like CSS, HTML, and PHP can make it seem too complex for someone new to the field.
3. Customization Options: WordPress is a highly customizable platform. This works as both a blessing and a curse. People often feel overwhelmed by the number of options available to them.
4. Design and Aesthetics: People also worry about not having the eye for design required to create a professionally-looking website.
Reasons Why Building a WordPress Website is Not as Hard as You Think
Alright, now I will share the points that bust those myths we talked about earlier!
1. User-Friendly Interface and Dashboard: It is extremely easy to navigate. Thus, it also becomes easier for you to manage your website.
2. Codeless Website Development: It offers pre-built themes and plugins. So you do not need to code to build a website here.
3. Wide Range of Themes and Plugins: It also provides a wide range of those themes and plugins. Thus, you can customize your own website, add desired widgets, and most importantly do it on your own!
4. Free Tutorial and Resource Access: There are a ton of free resources all over the internet on everything related to WordPress. If you ever wondered about the time required to build a WordPress website, then just know that you can have a website of your own in the next few hours! And this will only happen if you start using those resources now.
5. Large Community Support: There is a large community of people using WordPress. They can provide support, guidance, and advice, thus making the task even easier for you!
Things You Need to Build a WordPress Website
Website development has three main components, without which it is impossible to create a functional website, and they are:
b) Web Hosting
c) Content Management System (CMS)
However, there are additional components that can strengthen a website.
Step-by-Step Guide to Building a WordPress Website
In these six steps, you can have your own professional-looking website up and running in no time! So just follow along and I will walk you through the process of building a website from scratch:
Step-1: Determine the Purpose and Goals of Your Website
i) By defining the purpose and goals of your website, determine the content and the design elements you will need to achieve them.
ii) Identify your target audience and thus tailor your website’s content to their needs.
iii) Plan the user experience you want and create your website’s layout accordingly. This is the most efficient way to improve the overall user experience of your website.
Step-2: Select a Suitable Theme and Customize
i) First, choose a theme that aligns with step-1. Then, customize it to your liking using the wide array of options.
ii) For customization, consider the layout, typography, and color scheme of your website and make adjustments.
iii) Use plugins and widgets to add functionality to your website. For example, forms, social media links, chatbot services, etc.
Step-3: Install Essential Plugins for Security and Performance
i) Essential plugins include security plugin to protect your website from cyber threats, caching plugin to improve page load times, etc.
ii) Consider adding other plugins that enhance a website’s functionality like backup plugin, SEO plugin, analytics plugin, etc.
Step-4: Create High-Quality Content Aligning with Your Brand
i) Create content aligning with your brand and resonating with your target audience.
ii) Use different forms of content like blog posts, images, newsletters, etc. to keep your website engaging. WordPress is open-source and the most flexible content management system (CMS). You can use it as a headless CMS for the website’s versatility and make your content visible on any device.
iii) Use keyword research to optimize your content for search engines and attract organic traffic to your website.
Step-5: Optimize Your Website for Search Engines (SEO)
i) Optimize your website for search engines using on-page and off-page SEO techniques.
ii) Use tools like Google Analytics and Search Console to track your website’s performance and make improvements accordingly.
Step-6: Regularly Update and Maintain Your Website
i) Regularly update your website with content. Maintain it by fixing broken links.
ii) Ensure your website is secure and up-to-date from time to time.
iii) Monitor your website’s performance and user feedback.
iv) Consider hiring a professional web developer or company. Handling these types of updates and maintenance falls under the services of website development companies.
To Wrap It Up!
That is it for today! I hope this blog post has shown you that building a WordPress website is not as hard as you may have thought.
With its user-friendly interface, you can create a beautiful and functional website without any coding skills. Plus, with free tutorials and large community support, you will have all the resources you may need at any point in time.
So, what are you waiting for? Start building your WordPress website today and see for yourself how easy it can be!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How Much Does It Really Cost to Build a WordPress Website?
The cost to build a WordPress website can range from $0 to over $10,000, depending on a number of factors. These factors include hosting, domain name, design, and development.
2. Can you build on WordPress for free?
Yes, you can build a WordPress website for free using open-source WordPress software and free web hosting services.
3. Can I create a free e-commerce website on WordPress?
Yes, you can create a free e-commerce website on WordPress using plugins like WooCommerce.
4. Does WordPress require coding?
No, WordPress does not require any coding. However, having some knowledge of coding sure helps you to customize and enhance your website.
5. Where can I get help with my WordPress site?
There are many resources available to help you with questions and problems while building your WordPress website. These resources include forums, online tutorials, and WordPress official support.